THE GRAFFITI

n. pl. Graf·fi·ti A drawing or inscription made on a wall or other surface, usually so as to be seen by the public. Often used in the plural.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

History and beyond

History and beyond

There has been no such survey done, but if it is done then history as subject will closely competing with mathematics as most hated subject. History may even take number one place from mathematics due to very high importance of mathematics, for various career options. In Indian education system history is only taught till class 10th as an essential subject and till 10th approximately whole of global history is covered. I am the one who loves history. Readers by now might have thought that I am going to write all about Indian education system and necessity of history. Sorry, no I am not going to put my head in churner.
Now I would like to take you back in history, of another part of world, of whose origin is very closely related to India. I am going to talk about USA. I think that Americans should thank us for having their nation, because Christopher Columbus was in search of India, but reached American main land, that was in late 1400s and after that began the great American dream, large number of Americans came and settled in America, mainly Spanish and English. History of America before 1400s does not cover many pages in any general book of history. But history of India dates back 9000 years, or if taken according to veds and purans then way more than 10000. Even we start from Indus valley civilization then that dates approximately 3300 BC back. Why am I comparing US and India? Because we are two biggest republics and have many similarities, primary being terrorism though America does not suffer main land terrorism as we do.
From terrorism as tag we can land on another date of history that 11 September 2001, I don’t feel any need to describe this date. But If I write 13/12, then it will take bit more time to remember that it was the day when our parliament was attacked, which I feel is much more important than WTC.
Now lets come back to word History, from which I started. Writing very straight forwardly, I feel that Indians lack sense of history. Americans due to having very short history remembers such day in far more better way than we the great patriotic Indians.
Want to take test, then answer this date 23/03/1931, my gut feeling says that not many of readers will be able to remember the event related to this day. But I wish my gut feeling to be wrong. Bye the way if you know the answer then it is fine, but if you don’t know the answer then pick any national daily and search for answer. There was an add by Govt. of India, but not of the size of the adds which told us about shining India.
Even newspapers on their own can not lend larger space for such objects of history. But they can easily give space for photographs of Americans holding candles around that empty land in New York. Bye the Indians don’t have time to hold candles around not so empty land around parliament. Common ask your self what did you do on 26 January, I will be rich if I bet that you had very nice sleep on that day, if not then you must be in police or in office of some minister. Indians are so busy that they can only celebrate their number of festivals but not national festivals. We don’t light candles on 13/12. But we feel very nice when we light lamps for nearly a week around diwali. Varanasi came and gone, and many Varanasi will come but let me ask you do you remember the date? We must thanks our politician to make some issue or other out of such attacks that they remain in news headlines for quite few days, otherwise our newspapers are very tightly packed with news of some American actress being pregnant.
But our politics have now left our children confused, of which history should they have sense. Ok jokes apart. I really believe in power of Indian press. Press played a great role in our independence, they played their role without any advertisement given from any government, and they published on their own, articles which pulsated fires came in papers on their own. Sense of history is important because it makes you responsible, it gives you pride, pride is the thing, and will be the thing which will make us believe that we can be a super power. So does news papers, common man have role to play, remind your self of history, remember it, and feel the sense of responsibility. Show it off, yes show it off even if you don’t feel from within, because it is said that if you start chanting Ram Ram with shit in mind the power of Ram will cleanse you.
    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home